Spring Street though of humble origin has long been the real business street and center of the town and college life. It has often been called the “Meeting Place” since visitors and returning residents are scarcely regarded as in town until they are seen on “The Street.”
It was first a lane to two springs where townspeople and students went for their water supplies. It became a street in 1846 on the land of S.V.R. Hoxsey. Several people built residences on either side in the next few years, as the nearby water had its attraction[…]
–from Williamstown, The First 250 Years, 1753-2003, page 126, left page, bottom.; By a Mr. Brooks. Et. Al.